The Twelfth Edition of the book on ‘A Practical Guide to Capital Gains Tax, Securities Transaction Tax and Gift Tax’. This book received very good response from the readers. The purpose of writing the book is to present the complicated subject of Capital Gains Tax in simple language. has brought a sea change in the realm of Capital Gains Taxation. Shares, Derivatives and Equity Oriented Units are liable to Securities Transaction Tax. Securities Transaction Tax has been kept very low in order to encourage the public to invest in equity shares, which in turn will help faster growth of manufacturing and service industry. This will ultimately result in employment generation and growth in GDP. Fortunately subsequent Finance Acts including the Finance Act, 2018 have not changed this new structure.
Part I – Law and Practice
2. Capital Asset
3. Transfer of Capital Asset
4. Transactions Not Treated as Transfer
5. Capital Gains v. Business Income
6. Computation of Capital Gains — Sections 48, 49, 51 and 55
7. Cost of Acquisition
8. Cost of Improvement
10. Capital Gain and Valuation for Stamp Duty
11. Overview of Exemption From Capital Gain Tax — Sections 54 to 54Ec
12. Agriculture Land and Capital Gain
13. Transfer of Residential Property and Exemption — Section 54
14. Transfer of any Property and Exemption — Section 54EC
15. Transfer of Any Capital Asset and Purchase of Residential House — Section 54F
16. Compulsory Acquisition of an Industrial Undertaking — Section 54D
17. Shifting of Industrial Undertaking — Section 54G
18. Shifting of Industrial Undertaking from Urban area to Special Economic Zone
19. Transfer of Listed Securities and Exemption — Section 54ED
20. Extension of Time to Acquire Assets — Section 54H
21. Capital Gains Accounts Scheme
22. Compulsory Acquisition — Section 45(5)
23. Insurance Amount Received And Capital Gain — Section 45(1 A)
24. Depreciable Assets and Capital Gain — Sections 50 and 50A
25. Conversion of Capital Asset — Sections 45(2), 2(22B) and 2(47)
26. Shares and Securities and Capital Gain.
27. Securities Transaction Tax
28. Slump Sale — Sections SOB and 2(42C).
29. Non-residents and Capital Gain — Sections 48, 115F, 115AB, 115AC,
115AD and 115E
30. Partnership and Capital Gains — Sections 45(3) and 45(4)
31. Reference to Valuation Officer — Section 55A
32. TDS on Payment of Compensation on Acquisition of Immovable Property
— Section 194LA.
33. Capital Gain and Advance Tax — Sections 207 to 211
34. Set Off and Carry Forward of Capital Loss — Sections 70, 71, 74 and 139(3)
35. Capital Gain on Sweat Equity, Buy-Back of Shares and Demat Securities
36. Gapital gains and double tax avoidance agreements
37. Comprehensive Examples
38. Income Tax Rates.
39. Gift — Taxable as Deemed Income.